Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Out of the Wind

Ok... One more entry about Mere Christianity, and I promise it will be the last. I know there has only been one other, but I recognize that those of you who read my blog may tire of it more quickly than I. As a matter of fact, I just finished the book, and I recommend it. So here's the quote that seemed to make a strong enough impression on me that I'd like to share it:

"The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it. It comes
the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at
you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back;
in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger,
stronger, quieter life come flowing in. And so on, all day. Standing back from all your natural
fussings and frettings; coming in out of the wind."

From these moments the new life will spread through us. We must hand over our whole selves to Christ. We cannot remain ourselves. For C.S. Lewis, this is the whole of Christianity. There is nothing else.

Clay and I are watching the American Idol Finale, cheering on Taylor Hicks, so I'll keep this one short. SOUL PATROL!

No comments: