Monday, November 19, 2007

Covenant Promises

Yesterday I heard a sermon on the subject of parenthood/children for the first time as a parent, and I was very encouraged. The text was Isaiah 44:1-5, concerning God's promises to those who believe and trust in Him:

"But now hear, O Jacob my servant, Israel whom I have chosen!
Thus says the Lord who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you:
Fear not, O Jacob my servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.
They shall spring up among the grass like willows by flowing streams.
This one will say, 'I am the Lord's,' another will call on the name of Jacob,
and another will write on his hand, 'The Lord's,' and name himself by the name of Israel."

The implications of these verses for my life are:
1. I should not fear my children's future. Why? Because I am chosen. "Fear not, O Jacob..." Even in the midst of things looking like a drought, fear not, because He will "... pour water on the thirsty land..." Has He not shown His faithfulness so many times before?
2. I should earnestly pray my (and Clay's) spiritual legacy into effect. v.3 says, "I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants." Pray this promise back to the Father. God loves mercy; He loves it more than law.
3. I ought to depend on the Holy Spirit as the Source of my children's blessing and spiritual growth. It is not our rules or church culture that blesses them and causes them to grow; it is the Holy Spirit. He will use me (and Clay) as His instruments, but it is not up to us. What the Father arranged, the Son purchased, the Holy Spirit seals. The Spirit gives us Himself. We need the Holy Spirit like we need the rain.
4. I may eventually let go of my children with hope. The Lord is sufficient for them; I am not. This is His world. When our children are born of the Holy Spirit, they will act according to their true nature. I can let go. According to v.4, look what they do when they have the Holy Spirit-- they own it. I can trust God with them.
5. Every generation needs a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit-- this is what our children need most.

I am so thankful for and humbled by the Lord's promises to His children. I can live without fear because He is in control and He is faithful. Not only that, but "His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature..." (2 Peter 1:3-4). I thank the Lord for Jesus, for His promises, for the blessing of Clayton and hopefully one day, more children.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Lyrene, No, I don't have a blog but I love checking yours. I am always encouraged and love seeing little Clayton. Hope ya'll have a great Thanksgiving!! Love ya, Heather

Liz said...

Heather - that sermon was an encouragement to me also! God loves our children and has a plan for them and that cannot be thwarted by anything we do. Praise Him! It was great seeing y'all - especially little Clayton!
Liz Davis